Cleveland Daily Banner
 LATEST NEWS
 Top Stories
 U.S.
  Severe Weather
  Bird Flu
 World
  Castro
  Mideast Crisis
  Iraq
 Business
 Personal Finance
 Technology
 Sports
  Sports Columns
  NASCAR
  Baseball
  College Hoops
  NBA
  NHL
  Tennis
  Golf
 Entertainment
 Health
 Science
 Politics
 Washington
 Offbeat
 Podcasts
 Blogs
 Weather
 Raw News
 NEWS SEARCH
 
 Archive Search
 SPECIAL SECTIONS
 Multimedia Gallery
 AP Video Network
 Today
 in History
 Corrections
Jan 31, 2:41 PM EST

Yemen president refuses to reconsider resignation


AP Photo
AP Photo/Hani Mohammed
World Video

Latest News
Yemen president refuses to reconsider resignation

Questions, answers on Yemen as rebels, president strike deal

Yemeni Shiite rebels take base, guard president's home

Buy AP Photo Reprints

SANAA, Yemen (AP) -- Yemen's president will not reconsider his resignation, despite pressure for him to do so by rebels who control the capital and who he says are holding him "at gunpoint," an official close to him said Saturday.

The refusal comes after representatives from Yemeni political parties met Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi at his home, where the rebels, known as Houthis, continue to hold him under house arrest and are searching all visitors.

Impoverished Yemen, home to a formidable al-Qaida affiliate, has been leaderless since Hadi resigned this month after the Houthis pressured him for a greater share of power.

The Houthis, who have controlled the capital, Sanaa, since September, and their supporters have been holding a conference in a sports stadium since Friday - saying they seek to organize "a peaceful transfer of power."

The official, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to reporters, said Hadi was willing to participate in a national dialogue session - provided that it took place outside the rebel-controlled capital. He said Hadi proposed the southern city of Taiz as an alternate venue.

Later in the day, a U.S. drone strike hit a car in Shabwa province, killing four suspected al-Qaida operatives, Yemeni tribal and security officials said.

A similar strike targeted the group last Monday, signaling Washington's determination to keep fighting the militants despite political paralysis brought on by a power grab by Shiite rebels.

The officials did not give the nationalities of the men killed. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to release the information otherwise.

Also Saturday, hundreds of anti-Houthi protesters formed a human chain in the city of Dhamar that was later broken up by rebels who fired automatic rifles into the air. In a statement, the demonstrators demanded a halt to all dialogue with the Houthis until they disarm and release detained activists.

Military officials said the Houthis still control most of the capital's military installations and arms depots, and have at their disposal heavy weapons including hundreds of T-72 tanks, self-propelled artillery and Katyusha rocket launchers.

The Houthis also recently captured a Republican Guard camp outside Sanaa which had been used by American experts until 2012 to train local forces battling Yemen's al-Qaida's affiliate, which Washington considers to be its most dangerous branch.

The military officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the press.

Since the Houthis escalated their conflict with the embattled central government in January, demonstrators have taken to the streets in several cities to protest their power grab.

© 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.