Mar 11, 3:02 AM EDT

Islamic State claims bombing in Libya that killed 3

Inside Libya
Libya's top prosecutor says groups smuggling fuel to Europe

Islamic State claims bombing in Libya that killed 3

Libya Opening Doors to Tourists

CAIRO (AP) -- The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for a car bombing at a checkpoint in eastern Libya that killed at least three militiamen.

A Libyan official said the attack Friday targeted a checkpoint on the outskirts of the town of Ajdabiya manned by the self-styled Libyan National Army, fighters loyal to Field Marshal Khalifa Hifter, who are battling Islamic militants in eastern Libya.

The extremists claimed the attack in a statement released late Saturday.

Libya was plunged into chaos after a popular uprising in 2011 and is today split between rival authorities backed by an array of militias. The Islamic State group was driven out of its onetime stronghold of Sirte in 2016 but has carried out insurgent-style attacks since then.

© 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Connect with us
Naples Daily News links