Jul 7, 5:31 AM EDT

Taliban suicide bomber hits NATO convoy in Kabul, 2 wounded


Buy AP Photo Reprints
Latest News
Taliban suicide bomber hits NATO convoy in Kabul, 2 wounded

AP Interview: Iran ambassador: Nuke deal could benefit Kabul

Afghans protest court ruling in mob killing of woman

The Latest: Attack on NATO convoy in Afghanistan kills 2

Pakistan rejects Afghan allegations about parliament attack

Multimedia
US troops spending Christmas

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) -- A suicide car bomber targeted a NATO convoy in the Afghan capital on Tuesday, wounding at least two people, damaging several cars and shattering windows on a road in eastern Kabul, Afghan officials said.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack. A NATO spokesman in Kabul, Col. Brian Tribus, confirmed the attack shortly before noon and said the coalition was gathering more information on the incident.

One of the wounded was an Afghan civilian while the second person was from the convoy, said Gen. Abdul Rahman Rahimi, the city's police chief who was at the scene of the blast. He did not elaborate.

In a text message to media, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the attack targeted a "foreign car."

U.S. and NATO combat troops pulled out of the country at the end of last year, leaving full security responsibility in the hands of Afghan forces. The coalition has remained in Afghanistan in a training and support role.

Since then, the Taliban have stepped up attacks targeting Afghan officials, soldiers and local security forces.

© 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Connect with us
Naples Daily News links