10 Things to Know for Tuesday
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Tuesday:
1. SOUTH CAROLINA OVERWHELMED BY FLOODS
Dams overflowed, bridges collapsed and hundreds of roads were inundated as authorities evacuated homes.
2. SEARCH INTENSIFIES FOR SURVIVORS AFTER U.S. CARGO SHIP SINKS NEAR THE BAHAMAS
Only one unidentified body in a survival suit was spotted, after engine failure left the ship adrift in the middle of a dangerous storm.
3. OREGON GUNMAN HAD COMPLAINED ABOUT NOT HAVING A GIRLFRIEND
In a rambling manifesto, Christopher Harper-Mercer also insisted he was mentally sane and others around him were crazy.
4. WHAT NEW TRADE DEAL MEANS FOR WASHINGTON
Having hammered out the agreement with 11 Pacific Rim countries, the Obama administration now faces a potentially tougher task: selling it to a skeptical Congress.
5. NEW EXPLANATION OFFERED FOR HOSPITAL BOMBING IN AFGHANISTAN
The top commander of coalition forces says the Afghans requested the U.S. airstrike, correcting an initial statement that it had been because U.S. forces were threatened.
6. WHY TENSIONS ARE RISING BETWEEN RUSSIA AND NATO
A Russian warplane linked to airstrikes in Syria entered airspace above Turkey, prompting the alliance to denounce the "irresponsible behavior."
7. ISRAELI LEADER VOWS ACTION AFTER WAVE OF VIOLENCE
Benjamin Netanyahu sends thousands of soldiers to the West Bank and Jerusalem, and lifts restrictions on what security forces can do.
8. WHO WON THE NOBEL PRIZE IN MEDICINE
Chinese expert Tu Youyou, Japanese microbiologist Satoshi Omura and Irish-American William Campbell were rewarded for creating pioneering drugs against malaria and other devastating tropical diseases.
9. NEW CAUSE FOR CONCERN FOR CARDIAC PATIENTS
Doctors have discovered a potential problem involving implanted heart valves - they don't always open and close properly, possibly because a blood clot has formed that could raise the risk of stroke.
10. CC SABATHIA ADMITS HE SUFFERS FROM ALCOHOLISM
The Yankees pitcher is checking into a rehab center and will miss the postseason.