- Virginia Politics
- Food & Drink
- Real Estate
- All Sections
10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. RAIDS NET ISTANBUL AIRPORT SUSPECTS
Police detain 13 people - including three foreign nationals - in connection with the attack that killed more than 40 people at Ataturk airport, Turkey's state-run news agency says.
2. KU KLUX KLAN DREAMS OF RISING AGAIN 150 YEARS AFTER FOUNDING
The ease of online communication is helping the KKK reach new members, but watchdogs say the infamous white supremacist movement remains a shadow of its former self.
3. WHY SOME EU MEMBERS ARE DISENCHANTED
Far-right movements, government spending cuts and the influx of migrants have nations other than Britain pondering an exit.
4. MILITARY SEEKS MORE TIME ON TRANSGENDER POLICY
Senior military leaders tell the AP that the Pentagon is moving too fast to launch new rules allowing transgender individuals to serve openly in the U.S. military.
5. CLINTON RAISING BIG DOLLARS AT TINY FUNDRAISERS
In her quest for the White House, the Democrat uses intimate salon-style gatherings with a handful of elite donors that can raise $1 million or more.
6. DUTERTE TOUGH GUY STYLE A MIXED BAG FOR FILIPINOS
Some hope the new Philippines president's maverick style will energize the country, but others fear he will undercut democracy amid threats to kill criminals en masse.
7. WHO IS MORE LIKELY TO FACE STUN-GUN FIRE
Hispanics shot with Tasers by police in Connecticut in 2015 were more likely to be fired upon multiple times than other racial groups, an analysis finds.
8. JUPITER TO TAKE CENTER STAGE
A NASA spacecraft built to peek through thick, swirling clouds will begin mapping the giant planet from the inside out next week.
9. WHAT ALSO IS BEING OFFERED AT ESSENCE
The annual music festival in New Orleans will delve into current events and explore opportunities for entrepreneurs.
10. POOCHES HELP POOL ATHLETES
Therapy dogs are being provided for the first time in the U.S. Olympic swimming team's lounge in Nebraska, helping the athletes relax and get over missing their own pets.