National & World News
10 Things to Know for Thursday
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Thursday:
1. OBAMA: FORCE ONLY LANGUAGE ISLAMIC STATE GROUP UNDERSTANDS
The president's declaration during a speech at the U.N. is a striking shift for someone who has been reluctant to take military action in the past.
2. WHICH US WEAPON IS MAKING ITS DEBUT
The Air Force's newest fighter jet - the radar-evading F-22 Raptor - was used in combat for the first time during strikes over Syria.
3. CALL WAITING ... AND WAITING
Some users are complaining that an Apple software update renders their new iPhones unable to make calls.
4. GRAND JURY SIDES WITH TONY STEWART
The panel decides not to bring criminal charges against the NASCAR star for the death of a fellow driver during a dirt-track race in August.
5. WHERE NEW AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEM FALLS SHORT
The U.S. has spent more than $5 billion on the system - but its designers failed to take into account the rising popularity of drones.
6. SUSPECT CAPTURED IN MISSING STUDENT CASE
Jesse Matthew Jr., 32, is taken into custody in Texas. Police are working to extradite him to Virginia, where an 18-year-old sophomore at the University of Virginia went missing this month.
7. GOVERNMENT TOUTS BENEFIT OF `OBAMACARE'
The number of uninsured patients admitted to hospitals has dropped markedly this year, the administration says.
8. WHY SOME ARE SEEKING REFUGE WITH ISLAMIC STATE MILITANTS
One 24-year-old Muslim convert says she moved with her toddler to the group's territory to get away from the sex, crime, drugs and alcohol she saw in Turkey.
9. DOCTOR WHO HELPED DEVELOP ROGAINE DIES IN FLORIDA AT 80
Guinter Kahn couldn't use the hair-loss remedy himself - he was allergic to it.
10. ESPN SUSPENDS COMMENTATOR FOR THREE WEEKS
The discipline comes a day after Bill Simmons in a podcast launched an obscenity-laced tirade against NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.