10 Things to Know for Thursday
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. TV REPORTER AND CAMERAMAN SHOT DEAD DURING LIVE TV BROADCAST IN VIRGINIA
The gunman, a disgruntled former employee of the same television station, fled the scene and later died in the hospital of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
2. DOW JONES STAGES STUNNING REBOUND AFTER DIZZYING DIVE
The blue-chip index vaulted 619 points, snapping a six-day losing streak that had Americans nervously checking their investment balances.
3. TUSSLE WITH SPANISH-LANGUAGE ANCHOR SHOWS TRUMP'S RELISH FOR CONFRONTATION
For the Republican candidate, the joy of the insult seems as compelling as the art of the deal, and he's showing little willingness to dial down his because-I-said-so style.
4. WHERE A DISPUTE OVER UNCOLLECTED GARBAGE IS SPEWING INTO A FULL-BROWN POLITICAL CRISIS
The protests in Lebanon were sparked by the trash problem but now target the country's entire political system.
5. WHY AIRFARES ARE BEGINNING TO COME DOWN
The price of oil is at the lowest level in six and a half years and the industry is saving billions of dollars on fuel.
6. THE POPE AND OBAMA POISED TO SEEK COMMON CAUSE DURING VISIT TO WASHINGTON
Despite deep differences on some social issues such as abortion, the two are expected to focus on areas of agreement including global warming, poverty and diplomacy with Iran and Cuba.
7. HUNGARY'S BORDER FENCE PROVES FUTILE IN SLOWING MIGRANT FLOW
The hastily-built barrier consists of three layers of razor wire along the country's border with Serbia. But migrants are clambering over it or crawling under it.
8. JUDGE UPHOLDS TENNESSEE'S LETHAL INJECTION PROCESS FOR EXECUTIONS
The court said the plaintiffs didn't prove that the one-drug method led to a painful and lingering death.
9. WHAT TO DO IF YOU CAN'T DECIDE BETWEEN A WHOPPER AND A BIG MAC
Maybe get a "McWhopper"? Burger King is asking McDonald's to join forces and create a mashup of their most famous burgers in honor of International Day of Peace.
10. DARTMOUTH DEBUTS TACKLING DUMMY IN BID TO REDUCE CONCUSSIONS
The padded, remote-controlled figure is designed to allow players to make full contact while minimizing head and neck injuries.