10 Things to Know for Thursday
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Thursday:
1. NEW JERSEY SENATOR INDICTED ON CORRUPTION CHARGES
Democrat Bob Menendez allegedly performed political favors for a friend in exchange for gifts and campaign contributions.
2. ARKANSAS GOVERNOR BACKS AWAY FROM PROMISE TO SIGN CONTROVERSIAL RELIGIOUS-OBJECTIONS BILL
Asa Hutchison is the second GOP governor is as many days to give ground to opponents of the measure, versions of which have been passed in 20 states.
3. EXTENSIONS OF IRAN TALKS UNDERSCORE HIGH STAKES FOR OBAMA
Walking away from negotiations could raise the specter of American military action against Tehran's nuclear installations.
4. FORMER IRS OFFICIAL WON'T BE PROSECUTED
The Justice Department declines to pursue contempt charges against Lois Lerner, who refused to testify before Congress about her role in a controversy over how the agency treated conservative political groups.
5. WHERE VICTORY IN TIKRIT COULD LEAD
Iraq's triumph over the Islamic State extremists in Saddam Hussein's hometown is seen as a key toward eventually driving the militants out of Mosul, the country's second-largest city.
6. CALIFORNIA IMPOSING UNPRECEDENTED WATER LIMITS
The stiffer rules follow a determination that the Sierra Nevada snowpack - vital to the state's water supply - is at its lowest level in decades.
7. WHO'S BOOSTING PAY FOR ITS LABOR FORCE
McDonald's says starting wages for workers at its company-owned restaurants will be a dollar more than the local minimum wage.
8. FIRE ERUPTS ON OIL PLATFORM IN GULF OF MEXICO, KILLING FOUR
There are no signs of a major spill following the fiery blast, says Pemex, the state-run oil company.
9. WHAT MILESTONE PINTEREST IS MARKING
The online site where tens of millions share do-it-yourself and other ideas celebrates its fifth birthday this week.
10. JOHN LENNON'S FIRST WIFE DIES AT HOME IN SPAIN AT 75
Cynthia Lennon met the Beatles guitarist at art school in Liverpool in 1957. The couple had a son, Julian.