10 Things to Know for Thursday
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Thursday:
1. DEBRIS FROM MISSING AIRLINER POSSIBLY FOUND
The wing component is unique to the Boeing 777 - the same model as the Malaysia Airlines jet that disappeared last year en route to Beijing.
2. LEADER OF AFGHANISTAN TALIBAN REPORTED DEAD
Mullah Mohammad Omar, an al-Qaida ally who led a bloody insurgency against U.S.-led forces, died two years ago in a Pakistani hospital, the Afghan government says.
3. WHERE TURKEY IS DRAWING THE LINE
It says airstrikes against the Kurds will continue until the rebels lay down their arms, despite calls for an immediate end to the violence.
4. WHITE OFFICER WHO SHOT MOTORIST INDICTED ON MURDER CHARGE
The University of Cincinnati policeman "purposely" killed the black motorist and "should never have been a police officer," the prosecutor says.
5. WHAT'S DELIGHTING DEMOCRATS AHEAD OF 2016 VOTE
Republicans have been tearing each other apart in extraordinarily public displays.
6. MIGRANTS UNDETERRED BY RIOT POLICE, RISK OF DEATH
Tens of thousands of immigrants have attempted this summer to cross the railway tunnel in Calais leading to England.
7. HOW WORLD'S POPULATION WILL GROW
The number of people on the globe is expected to hit 8.5 billion by 2030 and 9.7 billion in 2050, the UN says.
8. FACEBOOK BEATING EXPECTATIONS ON ALL FRONTS
Profit and revenue are growing, as are the social network's already-massive user base and its mobile advertising.
9. WHO'S TAKING HEAT ON TWITTER
Mia Farrow feels a backlash after joining angry social media posters who blasted out the business address of the dentist who killed the beloved lion Cecil in Zimbabwe.
10. BRADY PUSHES `DEFLATEGATE' TO FEDERAL COURT
The QB is fighting his four-game suspension in the deflated footballs case, as Patriots' owner Robert Kraft says the NFL has handled the investigation unfairly.