National & World News
10 Things to Know for Monday
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
1. WHAT LEFT-WING PARTY'S VICTORY COULD MEAN FOR GREECE
Following a historic election win, the communist-rooted Syriza party vows to end the country's painful austerity program, setting a showdown with creditors.
2. WHERE `POTENTIALLY HISTORIC' STORM IS HEADED
A huge swath of the Northeast, from New Jersey to Maine, is bracing for a crippling blizzard that could dump from two to three feet of wind-whipped snow from late Monday through Tuesday.
3. UKRAINE LEADER: RUSSIA-BACKED SEPARATISTS ROCKET MARIUPOL
President Petro Poroshenko says intercepted communications prove Moscow-backed separatists fired the rockets that killed 30 people. Meanwhile, Russia blames Ukraine for the military escalation.
4. OBAMA SEEKS WILDERNESS DESIGNATION FOR ANWR
The plan to protect another 12.2 million acres of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge angers top officials in Alaska, since it would ban oil drilling.
5. NIGERIAN TROOPS, ISLAMIC EXTREMISTS CLASH
More than 200 combatants die in fierce fighting in Maiduguri, northeastern Nigeria's largest city.
6. EGYPT LAUNCHES CRACKDOWN ON 2011 UPRISING ANNIVERSARY
Anti-government protesters fight street battles with police in Cairo and other cities, as clashes leave at least 15 people dead.
7. WHY SEARCH FOR BOSTON BOMBING TRIAL JURORS IS SO TEDIOUS
To be seated for a capital punishment case a juror must be willing - but not eager - to hand down a sentence of either life in prison or death, which makes for a drawn-out process.
8. MILLIONS OF GENETICALLY MODIFIED MOSQUITOES COULD BE FREED IN FLORIDA KEYS
The FDA weighs allowing the release of the insects to fight growing threat of viral diseases.
9. `ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK' WINS EARLY AT SAG AWARDS
The latest stop in Hollywood's award season kicks things off with a pair of wins for the Netflix prison series.
10. NHL ALL-STAR GAME SETS RECORD FOR GOALS
Team Toews beats Team Foligno 17-12 in a wild, no-defense exhibition that even features a fake fight.