10 Things to Know for Monday
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
1. WHY LOWER GAS PRICES WILL AFFECT SOCIAL SECURITY PAYMENTS
Cheaper fuel means cost of living adjustments will not rise, so millions of retirees, disabled veterans and others will see no increase in their benefit checks.
2. RESEARCH INTO GUN VIOLENCE LAGS IN US
Firearms advocates, wary of any possible limits on weaponry, have successfully lobbied for limitations on government research and funding, and private sources have not filled the breach.
3. WHAT SOME DRUG PRISONERS MAY SEE DUE TO SENTENCING OVERHAUL
Federal officials say roughly 40,000 inmates - many of them small-time drug dealers - could be eligible for reduced sentences in coming years.
4. WHO COULD SEE GAINS FROM TURKISH PEACE RALLY BOMBING
The Islamic State terror group could benefit the most from this, since a continued military offensive within Turkey would take pressure off the extremist group in Syria.
5. PUTIN DEFENDS MOSCOW'S INTERVENTION IN SYRIA
The Russian president says Moscow's objective was to stabilize the Syrian government and create conditions for a political compromise.
6. HELICOPTER CRASH AT KABUL BASE KILLS 5, NATO SAYS
Two Royal Air Force members are among those killed when the Puma Mk 2 helicopter crashed while landing in Kabul, The British Ministry of Defense says.
7. WHY HUNDREDS OF FLIGHTS WERE DELAYED
Southwest Airlines says technical issues are forcing them to check in some customers manually at airports and causing long lines.
8. MORE CITIES RECOGNIZING NATIVE AMERICANS ON COLUMBUS DAY
A movement is being revived to change the name of the holiday to celebrate the history and contributions of indigenous cultures around the country.
9. 'YOU'RE NOT PUTTING A STOP TO ME, PERIOD.'
That's what Saira Nicole - a topless, painted panhandler - says about New York City's move to regulate such solicitation.
10. OHIO STATE REMAINS ATOP AP FOOTBALL POLL
Baylor is No. 2 and Utah is up to fourth behind the No. 1 Buckeyes.